16 April 2010

School

My third year at OCAD is coming to an end! I just have one project left, a portrait drawing due on Tuesday that I havn't started. I emptied out my locker and brought everything home, so it's really official. I forgot my digital camera on Wednesday, so I don't have a quality photo of how I displayed my final abstract painting (the painting I posted in the last entry). So, I have a really low grade quality photo from my phone.I also changed the order of the panels. The walls we had in this classroom were terrible, there's no way to nail your work to the walls. So I actually used Velcro to hang up my pieces!
It's a little scary that my third year is almost over. I can't believe I'm going to be in my fourth year come September. Looking back, I think the quality of my work has improved. I think my technical skills are a lot better than second year. I think two of the things that I wish I had stayed on top on this year would have been trying to get into shows and working on the concept in my pieces.
Most of my summers consists of working and pooping around. This summer I really want to make a good, hard effort to paint a lot and to create a body of work. I want to come out of the summer with a bunch of new pieces I can be proud of. I also want to read a few books and watch a few films. I suspect this will be a very artsy summer! Another thing I really want to accomplish is get into some kind of show, or get my work seen in some kind of way. After talking to a bunch of people at my school, I realize that getting your work seen is probably one of the most important things for an artist to do. I don't think I'm being overly ambitious, I just hope I have enough time to relax this summer too!

No comments:

Post a Comment