17 May 2010

Things I Should Have Posted Earlier


So I was looking through some of my pictures on the computer and realized there were some school projects I never posted. So today I will post them!

The first image is acrylic on canvas. It was actually the first project for my abstract class. The assignment was to abstract from nature, so I chose the human figure as my muse.

The next image is a painting for my Critical Issues in First Nations Art. Our final assignment had to be a work of art regarding one of the issues we talked about in class. This piece primarily has to do with land issues. One of the things I found interesting while studying Issues revolving around Aboriginal people is that many of the issues have to do with land rights. The land is so important because not only is it part of the identity of the First Nations people, but it's part of the "Canadian identity". ("Canadian identity" is in quotations because whether or not Canadians have an identity or what that identity might be is debatable ).
The bands going through the piece act as a reference to the profile of soil- suggesting that this piece is about land. Also, within the layers of "soil" I have embedded lines from The Indian Act that had to do with land rights. The Indian Act is probably responsible for the majority of the restrictions that affect the First Nations. Embedding lines from the Indian Act is significant because in a way I am burying this document, suggesting the Act needs revisions, or needs to be replaced.

The last two photos are the same project I did for my Critical Views in Painting class. I compiled images from a few fashion magazines and created a story (about 30 pages long) from the images. The whole idea was to re- contextualize glamorous images and juxtapose them with a strange story. Although I had a lot of fun with this one, it took a lot longer than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment