05 May 2010

Spring Cleaning



Yesterday I was going through a bunch of really old art and came across some assignments I made in my first year. Now I'm not one to throw things out, especially things that I make, but at this point it's a matter of space. I found quite a few pads of gesture drawings and figured I really don't need all of these. I kept most of them and salvaged some mediocre gestures as well.
I absolutely love gesture drawings- I love creating them and I love looking at them. There is something about its immediacy that breaths life into the drawing. Gesture drawings are energetic and interesting. I've always been fond of "incomplete" drawings and paintings, I think it lends itself more to the conversation of process. It's the process of Art that artists fall in love with, not necessarily the finished product.
I think I may try to use my gestures for something, I don't know what though. I've included some photo's of some of the gestures, they're all 18x 24 on bond paper with charcoal. 
The last drawing was in pretty bad shape in terms of the proportion and stuff so I doodled on it with pen and threw some paint on it for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment