15 March 2010

The Daily Scene


So the photo I posted is a picture I took while riding the Go train to school. There really isn't anything spectacular about it, nothing that is especially pretty. But I was taking photographs to abstract from for a painting assignment of mine. I decided to keep this photo anyways because I thought the composition was pretty interesting. I think I may do something with it a little later.
I've never really been a fan of landscape art, but recently I've had a lot of thoughts about "Canadian" identity. Does Canada really have an identity? Does any country? I've read a bunch of stuff on the topic, and one of the most common things mentioned about being part of the "Canadian identity", besides multiculturalism, is that it's attributed to land and its landscape. That's probably why the Group of Seven is/ was so popular. But the type of landscape that comes to mind is always some dangerous wilderness or cottage country. For me, as someone who lives in the GTA, that idea of Canada seems outdated. I've always seen Canada, or at least the part of Canada that I live in, as more "developed" or urban.
Even though what I spend most of my day looking at isn't a beautiful depiction of the Great White North, I'm beginning to appreciate my surroundings a little more. I think if you allow yourself, you can find beauty in anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment