12 March 2010

Coffee and Coffee


A while ago I got my boyfriend the movie "Coffee and Cigarettes". Basically, it's a bunch of short clips of people sitting around drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. For whatever reason, this movie sparked an interest in coffee. This triptych was based on some photographs I took at a Tim Hortons of people sitting around drinking coffee. They are all 30x 40, acrylic on canvas. I was really inspired by the neutral color scheme one may find when in a coffee shop or when one thinks of coffee. I also made a few other works prior to this that had to do with coffee, I might include some of them a little later on.
I think what I liked about looking at coffee in these pieces wasn't just the physical substance, but the interaction around coffee. It took me a while to figure out what I actually found interesting about the film and coffee. Coffee and Cigarettes is visually beautiful and it was the characters and the aesthetics of the film that I fell in love with. Had I figured this out before hand, I think the work I would have produced would have taken a different direction. However, it's not to say that I regret making this piece or the earlier ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment